Aurelio MezzoteroBoard Member
Born in Cosenza on May 5, 1971. Graduated cum laude in Business Administration at UNIVERSITA’ BOCCONI (Milan). MBA INSEAD (Fontainebleau, France & Singapore)
As venture investor, during the past 12 years Aurelio has helped many technology companies succeed.
Aurelio has been managing director at Italian Angels for Growth. Previously he cofounded the venture capital practice at IMI Fondi Chiusi -Atlante Ventures and in 2019 he joined Innogest, a 200 M€ Italian venture capital focusing on healthcare and industrial technologies.
Prior to entering the venture capital sector, Aurelio had a long tenure in private equity: with the merchant banking division of Intesa Sanpaolo, the International Finance Corporation in Paris and Washington DC. He started his career at the Gemini Consulting/Cap Gemini global consulting practice.
He is also a regular contributor to conferences and academic courses on entrepreneurship and finance (SDA Bocconi e Bocconi University).
Specialties: Venture Capital, Seed, Early Stage and Private Equity
Board positions: Agroils Technologies S.p.A, Mio Assicuratore srl, Micebot srl, Sardex S.p.A., S24 S.p.A.
1/2019 – today
Innogest SGR, Milan
Leading the technology practice and overseeing the funds’ portfolio investments
2/2016 – 12/2018
Italian Angels for Growth, Milan
Italy’s largest Angel investor network. During my tenure, the group doubled the number of angels and successfully exited 3 investments.
10/2008 – 2/2016
Atlante Ventures, IMI Fondi Chiusi SGR, Milan
Committed Funds: 60 M€
Primary investment sectors: Healthcare, Internet and media, Renewable Energy
- Member of the Investment committee
- Silicon Biosystems –platform for single-cell genomic (sold to Menarini)
- Yogitech Fault-tolerant chip design (sold to Intel)
- Igea – developer of the electrochemotherapy, a novel treatment in oncology (bought back by the founding family)
2002 – 10/2008
Intesa Sanpaolo S.p.A. – Merchant Banking, Milan
The merchant banking arm of Intesa Sanpaolo was the single largest private equity investor in Italy: combined portfolio value exceeded 2,5 B€.
- Focus on TMT and Energy transactions
- Manage private equity transactions end to end: deal flow, evaluation and structuring, due diligence, portfolio management and exit
- Monitor the fund of funds’ portfolio, negotiating and monitoring LPs partnership agreements
Main results achieved:
- 20% IRR, all investments considered
- Edison: 146% IRR
- Italenergia: 380 M€ investment. Net realized profit of 80 M€
- Fidis Retail Italia (Fiat’s consumer finance company). 60 M€ investment
9/2005 – 9/2007
International Finance Corporation, The World Bank Group, Paris
SIO (Senior Investment Officer)
Seconded from Intesa Sanpaolo on a two-year project.
- Country officer for Italy and France with full client relationship responsibility also Represent IFC with European governments
- Acting as project finance originator, liaising between clients and the HQ in Washington, DC
Main results achieved:
- Generated a tenfold increase in the project finance portfolio
- Developed a 250 M€ project financing pipeline in Russia, India, China
2001 – 2002
Intesa e-Lab S.p.A, Milan
Business Development Manager
Business developer of two internet start ups in the financial technology sector
American Express Ltd., London
MBA Summer Associate
Contributed to the start up of Amex on-line retail banking operations the U.K.
1996 – 1999
Gemini Consulting/Cap Gemini, Milan
Leading global strategy consulting firm providing services to Fortune 500 companies.
He consulted in the financial service and telecommunications industries.
While at Gemini, he was awarded a financial sponsorship for the MBA program and fast-track promoted from junior analyst to managing consultant.
In April 2020 he joins Digital Magics as Board Member.